Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Cereal Wars - The Battle for Deep Fryer Dominance

So, there are several reasons I love cooking - blending flavors to make a dish pop, sizzle, sing and initiate a gastrogasm when it hits your tongue; taking a concept to a completed plate; the intensity of a chaotic kitchen getting everything done and your entire focus is on one particular task at any given time; and of course curious experimentation.

Sunday was one of those days. First, it was chicken wings. Why have I never made chicken wings before? I have a deep fryer. But I don't have Hooter's girls to serve them to me, so that might explain part of it. Anyway, I decided to make a chipotle based sauce, and I gotta say, the wings were phenomenal! I don't care what anyone says, I loved them, and for those that know me, I very rarely like my own food enough to say I love anything. I don't know if I would have changed much, if anything at all. I think the guests agreed, as all of the wings were eaten.

For the main course, I made rosemary pork chops and for the sauce I reduced some apple juice with some honey and almonds. The pork was a little dry, but the taste was good, with distinctive flavors...or so I was told. I knew the pork would be dry because I cooked it about 3 minutes too long. Oh well. I also made a toasted almond rice with Kalua almond liqueur. Wow, that stuff is delicious. It's like liquid candy. The rice was just ok though, as I burnt some of the almonds.

For the dessert, I decided to go with a chocolate risotto. Instead of chicken stock I used milk and sugar to make the risotto and then added about 6 ounces of unsweetened chocolate and more almonds (the "secret" ingredient for today's challenge) I had the bright idea of using Cinnamon Toast Crunch as the outer layer for deep frying the chocolate risotto balls (which turned out to be like mini brownies). However, after trying to apply the crushed CTC, it wasn't happening. So, back to old reliable, Corn Flakes. Then, in order to give the risotto some sweetness, I topped them with honey and put them on a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream. They turned out rather good. So, the battle for supreme cereal goes to Corn Flakes. Next time, I'll use some milk chocolate to mix in the risotto and not even bother with other cereals.

And since I have some left over sauce for the wings, I think I'll have to make at least one more batch of wings this week. Anyone hungry for some wings?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tyler wanted me to ask...did the cereal have light sabers??

Wings sound taaaasty.

Fat Kid Chuckles said...

No, the cereal did not have light sabers. They had spoon sabers. And they say "May the milk be with you".

Oh, and believe me, the wings are indeed taaaaaasty.